Friday, June 15, 2012

day 96 - 06/14 - special post from my dad

Hello everybody. I am one sore puppy today. Yesterday we hiked from Mt Washington around Mt Adams to the Base of Mt Madison which was 5.7 miles and then another 3.9 miles to route 2 where my lovely wife Patricia met us - thank God! I wanted to kiss her feet when I saw her. This was one of the most difficult things I have done in my life. The rocks we scaled and the hills that we climbed up and down were littered with boulders and rocks. To think that my son is doing 25 miles a day in these conditions is mind boggling. Doing this hike with three artificial joints was making me be very cautious, which was making me slow. I did have plans to do the last 10 days of the trail with Tim, but after the one day with him and the obstacles in which he faces, I am going to call it quits. I know this will relieve a lot of people who were concerned about my safety. I would not trade this one day I spent with Tim for anything. We had a great day and he took me under his wing. To all you thru hikers out there, you are a special breed. I tip my hat to you. To all you people out there who think this is just a stroll through the woods, it's not! It is mentally and physically tough. I am so proud of Tim, and I pray that he stays safe. God Speed. - Tim's Dad, Paul.
tim's hike: hiking with my dad was awesome! i am so proud of him. to think that anyone attempts to hike this portion of trail and then considering his joint replacements and the ridiculous pounding that one takes while hiking is just incredible. he was a trooper and doesn't realize how well he did! he didn't mention it, but he was passing other hikers, including thru-hikers. so don't let him fool you - he rocked! the first pic is of my approach to mt washington, a video of the terrain on my hike up, a quick 360 degree video from the top, a pic of my dad on the mt washington ridgeline, and then a close up of us together - just two wild and crazy dudes. lol. 12.5mi from mizpah hut to madison hut. 1857.0 total.



 










3 comments:

  1. I read such a wonderful book today called "the little prince". Thanks to my German friend who blessed me with a copy and furthermore a great insight: "One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything ESSENTIAL is invisible to the eyes." This reminds me of the intangible feeling you must feel everytime you walk these paths Tim. It is also what I've felt and many others before us. It makes me joyous and yes envious when i see the pictures and videos you post. We see the beauty but it is the result of seeing that which results in tranquillity. The intangible forever beckoning us. It is much more real when we share it with love ones.

    Knee is not 100% yet. :( such an odd thing this knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no i got it all wrong. It is not the seeing that directly results in tranquillity but rather the realization of all the encompasing and honest beauty that our true self becomes enlightened too that direct to tranquillity. The walking and physically being up there makes us more aware of this. I hope that was clearer :)

      Delete
  2. the hiking is simply the mode of focus for my very limited, ego-bound, human attention. it is the being-ness in the now that is the true magic. the trees teach me daily by tripping me, literally, back into the now whenever my focus wanders elsewhere. i am so grateful and blessed to be within the divine mother's creation every day . . . jai ma!!! peace to you my friend. tribhu

    ReplyDelete