Friday, May 25, 2012

day 73 - 05-22

wow! i can't believe how much more difficult the trail in new england is compared to what i have hiking since north carolina/tennessee. looking back now, i think i have a little of the blues in pa, nj, and ny just cuz it was so flat. i really, really, really enjoy climbing a good steep hill. i love it! not sure if it is just cuz i am back home in new england or what, but i feel very re-invigorated. i really hoofed it today cuz i have made plans with my aunt pat to pick me up in lee, ma on thursday afternoon. so, i hiked almost all the way thru ct today and cruised into salisbury to pick up some packages at the post office. one was my third pair of trail runners. the pic below is of my retired pair of vasque runners with exactly 722.1mi of trail on them. they were a perfect fit, but as you can see they were just about falling apart. i also got my third care package. i just want to take a moment to thank my bff, kirsten, for the first two packages. she sent me my solar charger along with all kinds of goodies, like dried mango, pistachios, and awesome organic dark chocolate for the first drop. then, when i needed a new charger (cuz the solar charger is not great and really only works as a second battery), she sent me her spare charger along with incredibly delicious, huge peanut butter cups. yummy! this third drop package was from my aunt karen and uncle john. it is unbelievable all of the things they included, but i have to say that after three straight days of rain, two new, dry pairs of thorlios socks was like finding a gold bar in the mailbox! words cannot express how appreciative i am, especially cuz no one can even imagine how stinky my socks had become. no joking - epic stink! tomorrow i hike into my home state of massachusetts! the second pic is of the view, while lying in my sleeping bag, from riga shelter! thanks karen for helping me decide - good choice! 29.8mi from stewart to riga shelter. 1498.0 total.







No comments:

Post a Comment