Saturday, July 7, 2012

day 113 - 07/01 - last day!

i started my hike up mt katadhin at 06:00. i summitted at 07:50. it was easily the most technically challenging climb of the whole trail. from mile 3.5 from the summit to approx mile 1.5, one is basically rock climbing at level just shy of needing ropes at some points. i can't imagine tackling mt katadhin as an out-of-shape day hiker! ouch! i give even more credit to the sobos who have to start out by tackling such a challenging climb. i wonder if i would have had the mental fortitude and discipline to start my hike going south??? especially knowing the miserable, wet conditions that are in store for them as they go thru the 100-mile wilderness. it's just mind boggling.
so i put a video i shot on top of the summit as the first thing even though it was not chronologically, simply because i want everyone to see this the most. i am so incredibly grateful to everyone who supported me. it is just amazing to me! you know who you are and a million thank yous to you for everything!
the rest are pictures of my hike up katadhin. trust me that they do not do justice at all . . . i also included my park permit, showing that i am the 23rd thru hiker to finish this year. there are also pics of me and my rents in the parking area at the bottom of the mountain. i also included before and after pics from when i shaved off my mohawk and beard. vast inprovement, i think.
finally, i just want say that this hike has most importantly reminded me of what is truly inportant in life. please try to remember, thru my hike as an example if that works for you, that most every thing in this dimension is illusion, and that love is really the only important thing there is . . .
in the words of mumford & sons: "in these bodies we will live / in these bodies we will die / and where you invest your love / you invest your life . . ."





















No comments:

Post a Comment